Dirax Shrink Sleeves on Polyethylene Coated PipeDo DIRAX shrink sleeves bond well to PE pipe coatings? Absolutely. The DIRAX sleeve itself utilizes a heat shrinkable PE backing, and since the sleeve overlaps onto itself every single install, DIRAX has been proven to bond well to PE hundreds of thousands of times.
I recently stumbled across an old training tape we had lying around. A line up in the mountains where DIRAX was being installed on PE coated pipe. There are a number of installation filmed in this video and the quality is unfortunately on the poorer side.
As a reminder: the DIRAX installation process is essentially as follows:
- Pipe must be cleaned properly
- Epoxy bonding agent is mixed
- Steel and adjacent line coating heated (steel to 140-190F)
- Apply the epoxy coating all bare steel (if this line were FBE coated, you would apply epoxy to the FBE as well)
- Wrap main DIRAX sleeve and secure closure using torch and gloved hand
- Shrink main DIRAX sleeve
- Wrap leader strip half on the previously installed DIRAX sleeve and half on the factory applied coating.
- Secure closure of leader strip
- Shrink leader strip
- Use a silicone roller to roll all overlap areas.
- Check that adhesive flow is evident, that there are no cold spots and that the DIRAX system is fully conformed to the pipe surface.