Seven Fantastic Features of the WPCT product
(This is part 3 of 7 in our Product Spotlight on Covalence WPCT;
Wrap Around Pipe Coating with Thermal Indicator)
Finding a product that is easy to install, reliable and proven can be quite a challenge. WPCT is one of those products. It requires no special training, no special tools (other than a propane torch of course) and is easily repeatable. Every box of shrink sleeves that we at JSI supply comes complete with an installation instruction sheet in every box. If that's not enough, we have a handy (and short) installation video to walk an installer through the coating process step by step.
The process is simple.
1. Clean the bare steel and adjacent line coating with a wire brush, being sure to remove all lose particles (and wipe down with a cleaner of some sort).
2. Preheat the bare steel and adjacent line coating to at least 140F (but no more than 250F).
3. Remove the release paper and wrap the sleeve in place.
4. Secure the closure strip using a gloved hand and a propane torch.
5. Begin to shrink the sleeve, beginning on one end and working toward the other - always shrinking circumferentially.
6. Use a gloved hand or a silicone roller to pat down the overlap area.
The Sleeve is fully and properly installed when:
1. The sleeve has fully conformed to the pipe surface, weld bead and factory applied coating step downs should be visible.
2. There is mastic flow evident at both sides of the sleeve.
3. All cross-hatch pattern in the sleeve backing has been replaced by a smooth surface.
4. There are no cold spots on the sleeve surface.